This week is all about the letter A and Apples! Preschool is all about play and exploring so just take some of the ideas and run with them. Use the books to help talk about apples. Be sure to use a variety of fiction and non-fiction books as you read to your preschoolers.
You can download my entire Letter A curriculum for free here.
Ten Apples Up On Top!, Dr. Seuss
I am an Apple, Jean Marzollo
Apple Farmer Annie,Monica Wellington
Apple Pie ABCs, Alison Murray
An Apple’s Life, Nancy Dickmann
Apples, Apples, Apples, Nancy Elizabeth Wallace
Apples, Apples!, Salina Yoon
Autumn is for Apples, Michelle Knudsen
Apples, Jacqueline Farmer
5 Little Apples, Yusuke Yonezu
10 Little Apples
Sung to the tune of “10 Little Indians”
1 little, 2 little, 3 little apples
4 little, 5 little, 6, little apples
7 little, 8 little, 9 little apples
10 apples in a tree.
These are a few of the activity ideas. There are more ideas and printables in my downloadable packet on Teachers Pay Teachers.
- Apple Sorting (Science/Math)
- Buy different types of apples. Talk about the different colors, shapes and sizes. Sort the apples by color and size. Cut them up and taste the difference.
- Cooking with Apples
- Make applesauce, apple pancakes or apple muffins together. This is a great recipe for simple apple muffins (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/24352/easy-apple-cinnamon-muffins/print/?recipeType=Recipe&servings=6)
- Letter A Hunt (Reading)
- Look around the house or in a magazine for things that begin with the letter a. Make a letter A collection. You can write the words down on a piece of paper or index cards. You can take pictures of the letter A items and print them out to make a book.
- Another option for a letter A hunt is to go for a walk in the supermarket, mall or around the neighborhood. Look for as many As as you can.
- My preschooler used a USA map puzzle and we searched for the letter A in all of the state name. Just go with what your kids are interested in and use that to engage their mind. Always look for teachable moments.
- Letter A tracing (Writing)
- Trace the letter As with crayon, marker or paint (printable available in my FREE downloadable packet).
- Trace or cut lines from capital A to lowercase a
- A Song (ABC Mouse)
- Another apple-themed preschool page (From ABCs to ACTs)
- 10 Apples Up On Top Song
- Curious George Apple Picking Game (PBS Kids)